Thursday, March 22, 2012

A New York Minute

I'm heading to NYC this weekend with Adam to attend the wedding of one of his college buddies, Dan.  It's going to be a very quick trip.  But, I always thoroughly savor opportunities to visit New York, no matter how short.


One of the first things I do whenever I go someplace these days is research local races.  It turns out that the 13.1 Marathon Series (the same series that is providing the Chicago 13.1 Marathon race registration giveaway) is hosting a race in Queens this Saturday morning!  I really wanted to run it so I could experience a New York race.  But, I grudgingly admit that schedules are too hectic this weekend.  Also, from a training perspective it might be too much for me given the half marathon I ran last weekend

Thou shalt not overtrain or overrace.

(Even when traveling to New York.)

(Sigh.)

I am still excited about getting in a training run sometime over the weekend, though!  The wedding takes place in lower Manhattan and I've already researched places to run nearby.  Suggestions include the Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan Bridge and Battery Park.  I am particularly pumped about the bridges!  Running the New York bridges is something I've always wanted to do as a runner (I just added it to my runner's bucket list today).


On a different note.  When I'm not watching hockey games played by my beloved Blackhawks or Penguins, I am watching the Food Network.  The second thing I think of when going to NYC is the opportunity to check out some of the restaurants by the local Food Network chefs.  Adam and I went to Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay's restaurant) with Dan a few years ago, which was fun.  Other places I'd particularly love to check out are:
  • Babbo or Lupa (Mario Batali's restaurants)
  • Scarpetta (Scott Conant)
  • Morimoto (Masuhara Morimoto)
  • Les Halles (Anthony Bourdain)
  • Centric (Aaron Sanchez)
Although, a good neighborhood Jewish deli will certainly fit the bill, too.

New York-style carbo-loading at its finest.

I might purposely bring an extra bag just so I can smuggle mass quantities of bagels back home with me.  If anyone questions me, I'll just do my best imitation of this:

The Wall Street Bull.  There was a reason I was a Finance major in college.
Gives a whole new meaning to "running with the bulls," eh?

13 comments:

  1. I considered running that NY 1/2!! A few of my friends from Pgh are running it. How ironic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, what a coincidence! Weather tomorrow looks like it will be perfect for a race, too - partly cloudy with temps in the mid-50s. I wish your friends a great race! Please let me know what they think of it.

      How is your knee doing, by the way? How are you feeling one week out from your first half marathon of the season!?!?

      Delete
    2. I'm skipping the half, unfortunately :( Gearing up for the Pgh 1/2 in May and hopefully the leg will cooperate. Starting xtraining and more stretching!!!

      Delete
  2. NY bagels are the best! Enjoy your time there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bobbi! I hope you have a great weekend, as well. Are you Shamrocking this weekend and/or participating in the meetup tomorrow?!?

      Delete
  3. YES! Bring an extra bag for bagels. I really like the Brooklyn Bagel Co. There are a few locations in Manhattan.

    Too bad you could not swing the half! I am excited to see where you run. Just walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is crazy, but I bet if you got out there early to run it it might not be so bad? :)

    Have a great time! And tell us about the restaurants too! I never seem to check out too many when I am there so I am curious to hear what you try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thanks also for the tip on the Brooklyn Bagel Co and on the Brooklyn Bridge being crazy busy (I didn't really consider that). Unfortunately time probably won't permit to check out any of those restaurants since a lot of them are only open for dinner, but I'm sure there will be plenty of other options. I know when you go to NYC you usually stay with friends so you get to live like a local, so awesome!

      Have a great weekend yourself and I can't wait to hear about tomorrow's Meetup! You're not Shamrocking, right?

      Delete
    2. I will be missing you tomorrow! I am not Shamrocking... doing a 5K next weekend in Iowa :) But like you and every other Chicago blogger I did get a free entry to the 13.1 half. :P So I will do that!

      Delete
    3. Good luck in advance on your 5K next weekend in Iowa! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

      I am amazed at how many of us got the Chicago 13.1 offer. We should plan another Meetup that day since so many of us will already be there!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy NY! I love the bull photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laura! I find the bull photo very empowering to look at, you too? =)

      Delete
  5. I hope that NYC is treating you right! I agree that it looks like an awesome place to run. I should add running in NYC to my running bucket list, as well!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I hope you had a fantastic weekend too and that your marathon tapering has started off well!!!

      Delete