Thursday, December 20, 2012

Running in Las Vegas

Adam and I are going to Las Vegas next month to celebrate one of his milestone birthdays.  Given that the winter doldrums usually set in for me on January 2, it's great to have this trip to look forward to!



Since I've started an unofficial goal for myself to run races in as many states/locations as possible, I did look up running events in Las Vegas the weekend we'll be there.  Lo and behold, the Las Vegas Track Club is hosting a Fund the Fund 10K race that Saturday.

Unfortunately, I'm torn on whether or not to run this race.



Here are the plusses:

It's very affordable
Registration is only $25, which by Chicago standards is a steal!!!  (Although, there was no mention on the race website of the event being chip-timed.  If it isn't, maybe that's why it's so affordable?)

The swag is nice 
You receive a $25 gift voucher towards a running shoe purchase at Red Rock Running Company, which is one of their local running stores.  You also get a technical shirt.

Charitable impact
100% of the registration fees go towards the Las Vegas Track Club's scholarship fund.  I've never seen any race where 100% of the proceeds go towards a charitable cause.

Here are the catches:

Transportation is a big problem
Adam and I are staying on the Strip.  However, the race takes place at the Kellogg-Zaher Sports Complex in northwest Las Vegas.  It's about 15 miles away.  I looked up estimated taxi fairs and they come out to about about $80 roundtrip, which is a lot.

It seems a little silly to rent a car just to drive to/from a race... but just for giggles I looked it up and it would also cost about $80.  Either way, it seems like a excessive amount to pay just to transport myself to/from the race.

I went ahead and emailed the event organizer to ask if they had any transportation advice, or if there were any carpools that I could potentially join. We'll see what they come back with.  I am not optimistic, though.

That $25 gift voucher won't be very useful to me 
The Red Rock Running Company is very much a store that is local to the Las Vegas metro area.  Their Las Vegas location is also quite a ways from where we are staying - and it's also several miles from the race location.  So while the gift voucher is very nice, it would be difficult for me to use it (not to mention that I have way too many pairs of running shoes as it is). 

Although, I guess I could just give the voucher away to some random local runner.  Who knows, he/she might then be so happy that they'll shout:
 

I mean, it is Las Vegas, after all, right??? 

(OK, maybe I overestimate the potential goodwill garnered by the spirit of giving.)

One more catch, which is not specific to this race, is...

Having to get up uber-early on a Saturday morning when I would rather be sleeping 
The desire to sleep in gets magnified on vacation!  And even when we're not on vacation I feel bad enough dragging Adam up at ungodly hours for my races.  It would be cruel and unusual to make him do so while celebrating his birthday in Las Vegas.  Although, I guess I could certainly go run the race by myself and let him sleep in.

--
Admittedly, at this point I am leaning towards forgoing the race.  It seems like more cost than it is worth.  But at the same time, how often do you get the opportunity to cross Nevada off of your states-raced list?

What to do?  What to do?

18 comments:

  1. I would totally do it if not for the transportation thing. I wonder if there is a way to see if other people on the strip want to do it. Is there a bus system out there? Could you rent a bike and ride there? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did consider renting a bike and biking out to the race!!! But I am not an experienced biker by any stretch of the imagination. Unfortunately my legs would be like mush if I tried to do a 30-mile roundtrip bike ride on top of a 10K! But hey, that's inspiration for incorporating brick workouts into my regimen someday. =D

      Delete
  2. given the logistical headaches, and having to wake up early, I would personally skip it, and just enjoy running around Las Vegas at my leisure. I enjoy racing, and racing in new places, but I'm also over races that are a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Maggie - especially after the discussions before about being selective about which races we choose to do, since there are so many out there to pick from!!!

      Delete
  3. That does seem pricey for a cab ride...And a little stressful. You could always just run your own 10k on strip? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mucho expensivo and stressful indeed. I like the idea of running my own 10K on the Strip! "The Emily Vegas 10K" has a pretty nice ring to it, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Maybe post a note on the Track Club and Running Company's facebook pages and see if you can connect with other runners? $80 does seem a bit much for a cab, but at the same time, you'd get to cross Nevada off your list! And maybe the time change between here and there will make it easier to be up earlier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, that is a great idea about posting on the Facebook pages!!! I didn't even think to look for those. You're right about the time change being favorable to us Midwesterners, too... although sadly I'd probably already be completely acclimated to local time by Saturday morning. =D

      Delete
  5. So tempting! I was going to encourage you to throw caution to the wind and do the race, but then I stopped to think about my own history of running while on vacay. I rarely, if ever, do it. When we went to Australia, I wanted to run on the promenade just so I could say, "I ran in Australia." Never even put on my running shoes. Same thing with Austria and France. (The other countries were I took multi-day trips this year.) Sure, it'd be cool to say I did it, but my priority on vacation is to spend time with my husband, and running takes a back seat.

    Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fantastic time in Las Vegas!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you and I think so much alike. I have run in a lot of places just so I could say that I did it!!! You're right, though, about making sure that the husband is the top priority on his birthday celebration weekend. Can't forget about the reason we are planning to go to Vegas to begin with, right? =D

      Delete
  6. Maybe just make your goal to run in as many states as possible instead of race? That's what I did and it takes the pressure off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about the pressure - it's tough enough dealing with the logistics of racing even in our home city!!! Racing in completely new places really does add several extra layers of complexity!

      Delete
  7. I think the race is too much trouble. The logistics seem a bit crazy to swallow- which I do absolutely believe the cab fare would be $80+... I'd say run there (it will probably be cold) and think of another race you could come back for.. Like the RnR Strip at night or whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ran when you were in Vegas, yes? It is amazing how expensive everything really is out there!!! Sigh. But yes, you make a good point about how RnR Strip at Night would be a much truer "Vegas" running experience. In the meantime, I am envious of the 10K you'll be running in Brazil soon!!!

      Delete
    2. I ran in the summer when I was there. We stayed at the palms (way off strip) so I just made a huge loop around the hotel basically. I'd warn you that Vegas is sketchy all the time, do be careful. If you're running up the strip (early morning) you should have a nice time :)

      Delete
    3. Ahhh, good to know regarding Vegas being sketchy all the time. I didn't even think about that since I always figured that there are always tons of tourists around that you're never alone. Thanks for the tip!!! And I bet with early morning runs you see a lot of people that are just coming back from their all-night jaunts, LOL.

      Delete
  8. Hmm a tough question! I understand the temptation to race in a new state, but if running the race turns out to be more stressful than exciting, then I'm out! Over this past year I've realized that the main deciding factor for choosing races for me in 2013 will be convenience (i.e. distance/location). Driving far to get to an early morning race is such a hassle! Ultimately, it's up to you though! If you feel like it will enhance your vacation, then don't skip out on the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, ycan never go wrong with convenience when it comes to a race - distance and location make a HUGE difference. And there really are so many races to pick from that there is no reason for any of us to run any race that we're not really excited for!

      Delete