Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Training week recap: Jan 11-17, 2016

Hello, hello, hello!

Sorry for the incredibly delayed nature of this training week recap. I had the day off work on Monday for Martin Luther King Day. Normally, I still work that day despite the holiday. However, this year was the first time ever that I did not crack open the computer for anything during the entire 3-day weekend. It was heavenly!

The temporary computer shun put me behind on all of your blogs but I'll get back on track as soon as I can!

Here's a super quick recap of my training week:

MONDAY - Rest
TUESDAY - Yoga class. I considered also doing a barre class but opted not to because of this.
WEDNESDAY - Pure Barre class. I skipped my usual Zumba class because of a meeting that didn't end up materializing (grrrrr).
THURSDAY - Pure Barre class
FRIDAY - Yoga class and Pure Barre class
SATURDAY - Pure Barre class
SUNDAY - Rest

I fully realize this was one of the most nondiverse training weeks I've ever had.
Notes from the week:
  • Since we've already got over-routining on the brain this week, you all are probably getting tired of hearing me talk about barre classes. Change is definitely in sight, though. Last week was the second-to-last week of my Pure Barre membership. One more week to go before I'll be mixing up the routine big-time. I am ready!
  • After feeling some barre burn-out last week, I found my rhythm again this week. It was a lot like the mental progression I experience when I'm running a race. I tend to hit the doldrums around the 80% completion mark (e.g., the 10- or 11-mile mark in a half marathon). Then, as the finish becomes visible, I usually regain some momentum. I am making the final push with my barre membership this coming week!
  • What a difference rest days make. (I know, I know, let's go ahead and file this into the "duh" category.) I'm mentioning it today because I experienced unusually solid improvements after both of this week's rest days. The body is a marvelous thing!
  • I'll talk about this more next week, but the time has come to ease myself back into running. The Pittsburgh Half Marathon suddenly feels like it is approaching more quickly than I'm ready for! Over the next week or so, I'm going to design my training plan, which I will share.
  • I am really, really excited to get back into my weight-lifting routine. I am finally seeing results from all the strength work that barre involves, which has been motivating. I am pumped to keep going. I've historically lifted two days a week, but I am thinking about upping it to three days a week. More on that to come, too. 
  • Here's this week's song that I heard at barre class and has now been running incessantly through my mind:


--
Belatedly linking up with HoHo and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap.

20 comments:

  1. I was wondering when you'd comment about running! Can't wait to see what your new plan is.

    And also - to anyone who got Monday off - BOO!!! ;-) (Yes, jealous envy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be interesting trying to balance running with strength-training, yoga, and Zumba! Something probably needs to take a backseat, but I don't want to cut anything out. If only I didn't have to work full-time, LOL.

      Hey, my team had to work New Year's Day, plus historically we've worked one weekend every quarter. So these things all balance out! =)

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see your new training plan for Pittsburgh! The Barre classes sound fun, but I don't know that I'd be able to commit to as many weeks as you and solely do them as exercise. I bet they will help out your running too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to ask you how many days a week you did hill-training when you were preparing for Knoxville? Once or twice?

      The barre classes did take a lot of commitment and 5 weeks was definitely the max that I could handle! It helped that the studio is only a few blocks from my home. I hope the barre helps running, too! The classes certainly target all my trouble areas so I am excited to see how running feels now, thanks! =)

      Delete
    2. I just looked quickly back at my training and it was 2x a week. One time a week was hill repeats. Like 10x 20 seconds at a high incline. I'll have to look more closely for actual workouts (if I wrote them down!) and the other would be during my long run... I'd do repeats on the hill by the shed or on the TM the last 4 miles of my runs. I never did a consistent incline for more than a minute at most because that can really mess up your calf.

      Delete
    3. This is super helpful info, Xaar - thanks so much! I am right there with you on the calf pressure, since that's the part of my legs that burn the most when I am running uphill!

      Delete
  3. I am also looking forward to reading about your training plan for Pittsburgh. Yay for running and strength training! I am currently dancing to that Kaskade tune!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! Isn't the Kaskade tune catchy? Good luck at F3 this weekend, you are going to crush it as you always do!

      Delete
  4. You should be proud for committing to those intense Pure Barre classes and sticking to them! I'm excited to hear about your running plans. I totally agree -- the body is an amazing thing, especially considering the heck I put mine through. Aren't those computer breaks amazing? I never did catch up on blog reading. Oops. Thanks for linking with us Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HoHo! How are you enjoying your post-marathon recovery!?!?!?! It must feel nice to not have to worry about the grueling training right now! Computer breaks are fabulous. I might try taking a break from social media altogether at some point, but that one is much harder to do. Thanks for co-hosting, as always!!!

      Delete
  5. Girlfriend, your not late at all! Just in time! Way to stick with the barre classes and your are so right what a reset a few days off means! I really enjoyed my recovery week and feel much more energized and motivated this week for sure! Appreciate you Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Tricia. =) I am glad to hear your recovery is going well post-marathon! You must be so excited to take a break from all the grueling marathon training. It's the best feeling ever to let the body heal! Thanks for co-hosting, as always!!!

      Delete
  6. I took a break from blogging Monday, but I still read blogs. I can't do much when the cat's snuggling for 1.5 hours. At least I already had my computer so I wouldn't disturb her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, I'm with you! I still always enjoy reading blogs, but it takes more effort to write my own posts/comment on others. Awwww on the cat snuggles! That would be heavenly during the wintertime!

      Delete
  7. Great job sticking with the Barre classes! I look forward to following your training for Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debra! It's been a challenging couple of weeks but I'm excited to change the focus back to running!

      Delete
  8. I have never experienced a Barre class. We don't have any in our area. I am the same way with rest days, I'll go wks without having one, then when I do take one I think I should do this more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barre studios seem to be a new development! I know a lot of folks who don't have any available near them, but it seems the studios are starting to really gain momentum. Hopefully you'll get an opportunity to try one out in the near future! YES on going for weeks without rest, then realizing how good it does feel when you take a rest day. I think it's a momentum thing, yes?

      Delete
  9. Thanks Karen! Strength training has been motivating because the results, for me at least, have shown up more quickly than with running. =) I hope your foot is healing up well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with the Pure Barre classes, I don't think there are any close to me, but I keep hearing such great things about them.

    ReplyDelete